Kenneth Julien (Date of Birth: 2nd Sep 1932)

Trinidad and Tobago Icons Vol 1

Kenneth Stephen Julien was born on September 2nd 1932 in Arouca, Trinidad. He attended St. Mary’s College then worked as an apprentice at United British Oilfields of Trinidad (UBOT). He studied at the University of Nottingham, England on an UBOT scholarship and gained a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering with first class honours in 1957. He was the first Ph.D. graduate in electrical energy systems from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada in 1962.

He joined the staff of the newly established Faculty of Engineering, UWI St. Augustine and was the first local engineering lecturer with a Ph.D. He later became one of the youngest Deans in the Commonwealth and was appointed Professor and Head of the Department of Electrical Engineering in 1970, posts he held until retirement in 1996. He was named Professor Emeritus in 1997.

In 1974, Professor Julien chaired the Energy Co-ordinating Task Force which examined the potential use of natural gas. This group managed the country’s thrust into the global gas market and the diverse new industries of methanol, ammonia and power generation. Professor Julien also steered post-independence industrial development through his directorship of the National Energy Corporation, the Industrial Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago, and the Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission, among other state companies.

He guides Trinidad and Tobago’s present industrial thrust based on local energy, technological innovation and human capital. He achieves this in part through his chairmanship of Evolving TecKnologies and Enterprise Development Limited, the developer of the Wallerfield science and technology park; his presidency of the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT) and his leadership of Kenesjay Systems Limited, a consulting company specializing in energy.

For his outstanding service to Trinidad and Tobago, Professor Julien was awarded his homeland’s highest honour, the Trinity Cross, in 2003.